Thursday, 5 January 2017

MY WEEKEND IN FILM #1























Recently I've been inspired not only to reach for my Canon AE-1, a rather old and rusty 35mm film camera, but to begin sharing my rediscovered love for film photography on here, my rather neglected blog. There is a beautifully unique and unusual characteristic to film photography that just can't be found from using a digital camera and I find the whole process much more enjoyable and find it to be one that tests both my creative and technical abilities as a photographer.

A recent weekend spent with family meant me using my rather reluctant little sister and an extremely fidgety dog as my model which resulted in many images of grumpy faces, rolled eyes and out of focus dirty dog beards. But despite their imperfections, overall every image did successfully capture the feeling of the weekend which I suppose was their only intention. I've soon learnt that excepting the unreliability and imperfectness of amateur film photography is the best and quickest way to enjoy it.

I shot using Kodak Colorplus, a relatively inexpensive film but one of good quality though overall, including the cost of developing, I soon discovered film photography isn't the cheapest of hobbies. I found the film to be very flattering yet honest in terms of tone and colour and the fine grain which, considering the affordability, I found very impressive. I had all three rolls of film that I shot developed at Jessops which was a reasonably quick and affordable surface but I did find there to be a couple of issues in regards to the quality of the printed images. But despite the expense and unreliability of the process to me it is entirely worth it and it is something I plan on continuing to experiment with and share on here with you in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I read and appreciate all your comments...